Sunday, January 23, 2011

Assignment #4 Website Evaluation

a) FAIR: (a) Information Page; (b) About FAIR Page
A) This site is a reliable source because it states facts and statistics based on reliable acts from the government or from reliable organizations. We also can take note that it is a relaible site due to the site being made by an organization called FAIR: Federation for American Immigration Reform.
B) I would use this in my classroom to make my students more knowledgeable on the subject because we know that this site is not based off of someone's opinion. If my students were learning about immigration, what it is and what it entails, then this would be a good source for them to use.
C)I could use this site in my classroom to pose the question: Is immigration harmful or beneficial to the U.S. and why? Students would then have to discover what it is(fact) and would then have to form their own opinion on whether or not immigration was a bad thing or a good thing(opinion).

b) Immigration Blog:  (a) Home Page; (b) About and Disclaimer Page
A)This site is not a reliable source because this website is a gentleman's blog about his opinions and thoughts on immigration. This may be a source to look at a person's point of view, but it would not be a good source to go to if you were looking for facts on immigration.
B)I would not use this in my classroom as a reliable source on what immigration is, but I may use this page after my students already know about immigration. This blog could be used as another person's opinion and views and would help students either to make a connection with his views, or it would make them disagree with someone's views and could help make a lively classroom discussion. 
C)I could use this person's blog as a great way to get participation going on in my classroom because this cold help create a good discussion in my classroom. This may also help students learn that some topics may always be controversial.

c)
  Amercia.gov: (a) Immigration History Page; (b) About Us Page
A) This site is a reliable source because it is made by the  State Department's Bureau of International Programs. However, they take foreign people's opinions, and mix them with ours to create a statement that is mostly universally agreed on. They will take facts and opinions and put them together on one page. 
B)I would use this in my classroom because it provides both fact and opinion. My students would be able to read facts and opinions, and would be able to form their own thoughts from looking at this page.
C)I could maybe print out this imformation page and give the students all one red marker and one blue marker. I would have them underline factual statements in blue. If they were opinion statements, they would highlight them in red. This would help them distinguish between statements that can be proved, and statements that cannot be proved.

d)
 US Citizenship and Immigration Service: (a) Home Page; (b) About Us Page
A)  This site is a reliable source because The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services is a government agency that oversees immigration into the U.S. It makes sure that if you are living here in the U.S. that you are by law a U.S. citizen.
B) I would not use this in my classroom because it does not give much information about immigration into the U.S., this website just makes sure people are registered as U.S. citizens if they are living here.
C) You would use this site to check and make sure that you are an official and permanent citizen of the U.S., so I do not think I would use this in my classroom.

e) News from the Onions: (a) Immigration News Page; (b) Privacy Page

A) This does not look like a reliable source, but it does a good job of looking convincing. The source looks like it is a reliable news source, however it has no author of the article, nor is "The Onion" sound like a credible news source. Under the Privacy page, it states that this news source was made for an entertainment medium, which states that it is not a reliable source. Also, it was written in 1996, which is another reason why it is not a reliable source.
B) I would not use this in my classroom because it has no facts, no reliable sources, and does not give credible information to help them learn about immigration. 
C) I may use this article with my older students, maybe high school students, because they already know what immigration is and they already know that it is a fake article. This article could be used to show my students a good example of a convincing newspaper article that was used for entertainment purposes. I could then have my students write a comedic, yet convincing journal of their own for homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment